PRODUCING RESULTS WHERE IT COUNTS
Middlebrook Valley Lodge is a boutique thoroughbred broodmare and agistment farm situated in Scone, New South Wales – the heart of ‘Australia’s Thoroughbred Horse Capital’.
Situated at the foothills of the Liverpool Ranges, this picturesque property set on 370 acres of prime pastoral land, is well protected on all sides. A balance of alluvial creek flats and undulating slopes ensure the ideal terrain for rearing, ‘growing out’ and spelling thoroughbred horses.
Middlebrook Valley Lodge is managed by Verna Metcalfe who is supported by Jenna Cochrane and a team of dedicated horse people experienced in all aspects of thoroughbred foaling, broodmare management, sales preparation, and general care.
Verna and her team abide by the philosophy that every horse is assessed and treated as an individual.
Our recipe for foaling and raising horses is a proven one: Recent black type performers (foaled, raised and/or consigned by Middlebrook Valley Lodge):
- BALLISTIC BOY (Smart Missile x Magical Mist, by High Chaparral). 15 Starts for 4 wins, 5 placings and $330,850 in earnings. BRC 2020 Rough Habit P. Gr 3, 2nd BRC 2020 Gunsynd Classic Gr 3. 2017 Scone Inglis Weanling & Thoroughbred Sale $14,000.
- LI’L KONTRA (Krupt x L’Il Cashy, by Keltrice) 1st SAJC National S., Gr 3 (1200m), Dequetteville S., L (1050m), 2nd MRC Blue Sapphire S., Gr 3, SAJC Cinderella S., L, 3rd SAJC Queen Adelaide S., L, 4th VRC Coolmore Stud S., Gr 1. 2018 Magic Milions Adelaide Yearling Sale $110,000.
- MILDRED (Hinchinbrook x Tempest Tost) [1st 2YO winner of the 2019/20 season] 1st VRC Chairman’s S. Gr 3 (1000m), VRC Maribyrnong Trial (1000m) L, 3rd ATC (Randwick) Reisling S. Gr 2, Talindert S. L. 2019 Inglis Classic Yearling Sale $45,000
- FASIKA (So You Think x Jarada, by Redoute’s Choice) 1st ATC (Randwick) Wenona Girl Quality Gr 3 (1200m), ATC South Pacific Classic, L (1400m), 2nd ATC Sheraco S., Gr 2, 2d ATC 2020 Sapphire S., Gr.2, 2019 Silver Eagle, 3d ATC 2020 All Aged S., Gr.1. 2017 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale $120,000
- IRISH BET (Smart Missile – Dublin Me Bet, by O’Reilly) 1st ATC (Randwick) Inglis Nursery (R), L. 2017 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale $55,000
- CONDO’S EXPRESS (Rubick x Braided, by Elusive Quality) 1st MVRC Mitchell McKenzie S., L. , 2nd MVRC Australia S., Gr.3. 4th MRC Blue Sapphire S., Gr.3. 2018 Inglis Scone Yearling Sale $3,000
- FUNDAMENTALIST (Not A Single Doubt x Centafaith, by Keep The Faith) 1st SAJC Dequetteville S., L, 2d ATC 2019 Randwick Guineas, Gr.1, 2019 Surround S., Gr.1, MRC 2018 Thousand Guineas, Gr.1, 2018 Moonee Valley Fillies Classic, Gr.2, SAJC 2018 Sires’ Produce S., Gr.3, 2018 Breeders’ S., Gr.3, 3d VRC 2018 Empire Rose S., Gr.1, BRC 2018 JJ Atkins S., Gr.1, VRC 2019 Vanity S., Gr.3, 4th MRC 2019 Manfred S., Gr.3. 2017 Magic Millions National Yearling Sale $135,000
- OASIS GIRL (Redoute’s Choice x Siwa, by Green Desert). 5 wins. 1st SAJC Aami Centaurea Stakes L (2030m), 4th MRC 2019 Twilight Glow S., L. [Not offered at sale]
- Lucicello (I Am Invincible x Lucciola, by Verglas) 3rd ATC 2019 Up & Coming H., Gr.3, Rosebud Handicap L. 2018 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale $190,000
- Neutrality (Sebring x Dama de Noche, by Snippets) 2nd ATC San Domenico S., Gr 3, 4th ATC Silver Slipper S., Gr 2, Heritage S., L. 2017 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale $400,000
- Big Parade (Deep Field x Crystal Rock, by Fastnet Rock) 2nd Qld Tatt’s RC 2019 Winning Edge S., L. 2018 Inglis Classic Yearling Sale $180,000
- Niccovi (Nicconi x Fully Chargeable, by Charge Forward) 2d VRC 2019 Red Roses S., Gr.3, Pinjarra RC 2019 Magic Millions WA 2YO Classic (R), RL, MVRC 2019 William Crockett S., L, 3d Perth Racing 2019 Placid Ark S., L. 2018 Magic Millions Perth Yearling Sale $200,000
- Skyt (Nicconi x Sky Trist, by Sir Tristram) 2nd Tasmanian Derby L. 2018 Inglis Scone Yearling Sale $30,000
- Reformist (Dissident x Siwa Lady, by Gonski) 3 wins & 3d ATC 2019 Ming Dynasty H., Gr 3. 2018 Inglis Easter Yearling Sale $140,000
- Hearty Lass (Wandjina x Amazing Tale (USA), by Tale of the Cat) 4th SAJC 2019 Queen Adelaide S. L. 2018 Inglis Classic Yearling Sale $40,000
- Bold Arial (I Am Invincible – Helvetica, by Zariz) 4 wins. 4th ATC 2018 Widden S., Gr.3. 2019 Inglis Great Southern Weanling & Bloodstock Sale $60,000
- MVL also consigned 5YO race mare YOUNGSTAR (High Chaparral x Starspangled, by Danehill) – whose race record included 4 wins from 1500m to 2200m, A$1,050,337, BRC Queensland Oaks, Gr.1, The Roses, Gr.2, 2d VRC Turnbull S., Gr.1, ATC 2020 Randwick City S., L, 3d BRC Queensland Derby, Gr.1, ATC Shannon S., Gr.2 – at the 2020 Inglis Chairman’s Sale where she sold for A$1.4 million.
Past graduates include:
- JAMEKA – 2017 Gr 1 BMW, 2016 Gr 1 Caulfield Cup,MRC Naturalism S., Gr.3, 2015 VRC Crown Oaks Gr 1 winner, 2nd 2016 ATC (Randwick) Derby Gr 1 & 3rd ATC (Rosehill) Guineas Gr 1
- SELENIA – winner of Gr 3 Scarborough Stakes , VRC Festival of Racing S. L on 5 March 2016 (at her 2 previous starts the 2YO filly finished 4th in the MRC Blue Diamond Prelude Gr 2, the MRC Blue Diamond Preview Gr 3 & the VRC TBV Thoroughbred Breeders S. Gr 3)
- DIVINE PROPHET who won the Gr 1 Caulfield Guineas, Gr 3 Up and Coming Stakes and finished 3rd (at just his 3rd start in the ATC (Randwick) Moet & Chandon Champagne S. Gr 1) in 2016. Now standing at Aquis Farm in NSW his first yearlings were offered for sale in 2020.
- SAF-Gr 2 winner FURSA
- KIMBERLEY STAR (three times Group placed in 2015 and Listed placed in 2016)
- SURE AND FAST (who earned just shy of $500,000)
- Gr 1 winner & Champion 2YO Male in Sth. Africa in 2013-14 HARRY’S SON who travelled to Dubai in 2016 with his SAF connections for the Dubai International Carnival and finished 2nd in the UAE Al Fahidi Fort Gr 2, 4th in the Zabeel Mile Gr 2 and 4th in the Jebel Hatta Gr 1.
- Fellow SAF stakeswinner WILD ASH
- Magic Millions RL 2YO winner MILITARY ROSE
- 3-time Gr 3 winner with earnings of more than $700,000 BIG MONEY
- Multiple Gr 1 winner, Champion racehorse & successful sire ALL TOO HARD
- Gr 3 winner & Gr 1 performer PROISIR (who retired to Rich Hill Stud in NZ in 2015). Proisir was one of the highest rated three year olds in the Southern Hemisphere. He was unbeaten in his first three starts and was narrowly beaten in two highly rated Group Ones by Champion Galloper It’s A Dundeel.
- Listed winner The HUNTRESS (who was sold in foal at the 2015 MM Broodmare Sale for $475,000)
- Listed winner JACQUINOT BAY
- Listed winner ROM BARO (who was sold to Hong Kong for a reported seven figure sum)
- Listed winner TERROR FORCE
- 6-time winner incl. GCTC Magic Millions Cup RL and earner of A$879,925 CARE TO THINK
- Stakesplaced GASOLINE
- 2-time winner & earner of $365,375 PERFECT RHYME who finished 2d Australian Oaks, Gr.1, ATC Adrian Knox S., Gr.3, Newcastle JC Tibbie S., Gr.3, 4th Illawarra TC Arrowfield Classic, Gr.3. She was re-offered as a broodmare prospect at the 2020 Inglis Chairman’s Sale where she sold for $375,000
- KAYPERS (Cape Cross x Miss Electra, by Zeditave) whose 59 starts yielded 9 wins, 15 placings and $444,795 in earnings. 2d ATC Parramatta Cup, L, 3d Scone Cup, L, 4th Newcastle JC Newmarket H., Gr.3, Qld Tatt’s RC Tattersall’s Mile, L, Hawkesbury RC Ladies Day Cup, L.
The MVL team are justly proud of their hard earned reputation and use their exceptional skills in giving every client’s foals and yearlings the best start to life.